Small changes, it’s true, the smallest shift in what you do and how you do it can make the world of difference. Here are a few tips on how to become more Glam and Green - easy tools that will help the environment but won’t make a drastic change to your routine.
• I like to keep two boxes in my bathroom, one for paper and one for plastic. My recycling bins are downstairs in the courtyard so sometimes I'll leave an empty shampoo bottle on my bathroom counter with the intention of taking it down to the recycling bin later but when I go fetch it, unfortunately its already been thrown away in the trash bin. So by having these two boxes, I can rather fill them up and take it all down to the recycling bins. There is a lot in your bathroom that can be recycled - products that have finished for eg: a body cream (plastic); toilet paper - toilet roll equals to paper. You get new products that are first packaged in paper and the tags of your clothing – these can all be recycled. Your boxes should be full in no time!
• Are you like me and obsessed with making lists? Unfortunately this means using lots of paper, which means cutting down trees. If you like to write it all down, use up every free space of the paper and then when you're finished recycle it! Otherwise your phones, iPads, laptops all have apps that allow you to write notes and memos - use them!
• Choose organic beauty products - but don’t throw out all your products so you can go green - that defeats the point, you will just be causing waste. Rather 'convert' slowly, only buying when necessary.
• Working on your laptop/computer all day? Rather switch it off at the end of the day instead of allowing it to 'sleep' - save electricity
• When doing laundry, rather use cold temperatures. 90% of electricity goes into heating water, and most loads don’t need hot water. Save water and electricity.
• Use matches instead of lighters - lighters just end up in landfills
• Choose organic food - better for you and for the environment
• Swap your magazines with your friends - instead of all buying the same magazine, make a list and each friend buys one - and then recycle it, or use it as wrapping paper.
Simple and easy hey? Even if you just manage a few of these, you'll be helping! High five to you ;)
The Glam Green Girl